Friday, September 30, 2011

Nothing's Impossible

As the next most successful woman in the world I am going to...JUST KIDDING! As of right now I am majoring in Business Management, and as much as it scares me I am really enjoying the strategy and life lessons I am learning. Right now I am only taking one class, B100, which is a 1 credit business orientation class. Basically we post all our assignments on a website that we build. Mine is http://annadickson.weebly.com . Don't judge too harshly, I AM NEW AT THIS! ;)

Anyway, last night I attended a Career Workshop for 3 hours from 6pm to 9pm...yeah! LONG! But... I learned that I can't complain because its actually supposed to be 12 hours, however the church condensed it to 3. This is a requirement for my business class, so I went. It was actually really helpful. We basically built up self confidence and learned how to have a successful business interview. We wrote out a "Me in 30 Seconds," a power statement, and a weakness statement. In the beginning we wrote down an accomplishment, got in groups and told each other what we thought it took to make those accomplishments. Then we took the attributes and wrote out statements that start with "I am...," "I can...," and "I have..." For example, one of mine was, "I have good judgment." After that they had us choose our favorite spot on the wall...WEIRD RIGHT?! Then they made us face the wall and read our statements out loud, not just that but as loud as we could...AWKWARD!:D I did it though. The whole workshop was actually a bit uplifting. I went thinking, "lets just get this done so I can pass my class...I am sure it will be cheesy!" I LEARNED MY LESSON!

I went to my business class this morning (its every Friday from 7:45 to 8:45), and SURPRISE SURPRISE Henry J. Eyring was our guest speaker (we have had a guest speaker every class so far). He had so many good things to say. I just love listening to great speakers with a small audience, because it's more personal...PLUS he is President Eyring's son!!! Anyway, he talked about how no matter what we choose to do with our life career wise, we must have something that we love and that's athletic to do. He personally loves water skiing. But what I loved was that he said when he was called as Bishop, his father set him apart and then gave him some advice... "decide how much time you're going to spend and don't spend more," or something along those lines. He said that if we spend too much time doing things ourselves it leaves no time for the Lord to provide miracles....I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!!

...but really...If I were the most successful woman in the world, I would make life a musical!...HEY! NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

2 comments:

Annette said...

Wow Anna! What a great experience, all of it! What a great school and a great place to help you learn more about yourself. And what a treat to have the vice president speak in such a personal setting. You are a great writer my dear! You get that from your dad. Very fun post! I love you!!!

Annette said...

I just read it out loud to dad. He says you can just see and hear her mind expanding. Shes becoming an independent woman...darn it ;)

It's wonderful Annaboo. And we love the making life a musical idea!